Why work for RL Hudson
We pride ourselves on our employees and meticulous facilities. When you work at RL Hudson, you’re a part of something great. We are a rapidly growing, family owned company that specializes in solving problems and increasing value for our customers. Many of the world’s most sophisticated manufacturing companies rely on RL Hudson for a wide range of components, including molded rubber, molded plastic, formed hoses, sealing devices and custom assemblies. These large OEMs turn to RL Hudson when they need innovative design solutions, excellent service, reliable quality and delivery at a great value. We are constantly looking for talented individuals to join our team. Let’s explore the possibilities together.
Job Summary / Organizational Impact
Responsible for design of tools, fixtures and gages, CNC programming, quoting, and materials supply and management of the Rapid Tooling Center. Support customers, Sales, Quality, New Product Development, Engineering, and Materials Technology with the design and manufacture of tools, fixtures and gages. Responsible for prioritizing projects and managing resources as necessary to meet scheduled completion dates and tooling cost estimates. Develop new tooling capabilities as necessary and communicate overall department capabilities to Engineering, Sales and Quality personnel periodically.
The organizational impact involves effective management of assigned resources and the use of critical problem solving and decision-making skills to achieve scheduled project completion dates within budget.
Responsibilities and essential functions
- Operate one or more injection molding machines and support equipment.
- Use various measuring tools such as calipers, gage pins, go/no-go gages and gram scales. Record inspection data per work instruction.
- Perform visual checks for defects, assess cosmetic quality and communicate problems with mold setter or lead operator.
- Provide material changeover support during mold changes. Assist in cleaning and switchover of material dryers, grinders and vacuum equipment.
- Assist in keeping up with multiple machines and part inspection duties during team member breaks.
- Maintain order and cleanliness in the work area.
- Perform light assembly or other duties as necessary or required.
- Proficiency in basic and specialized computer programs including Microsoft Office, Navision, Docuware, and ProE CAD Software.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills. Must possess communication and customer service skills, and be able to communicate well with others, internally and externally.
- Organizational Skills. Must be organized and detail-oriented. Must be able to multi-task and prioritize projects.
- Analysis Skills. Must be able to analyze and critique others work in a non-offensive manner. Must also be able to accept constructive criticism.
- Specialized Skills. Must be able to read, interpret, evaluate, critique and create manufacturing drawings. Must be able to plan and model parts and assemblies in ProE, using drawings, sketches, sample parts, or verbal descriptions as references.
- Tools and Equipment. CNC, mill, lathe, grinder, saws, EDM machine, CMM, micrometers/calipers, various gages.
- Knowledge of various standards, practices, & specifications including ASME, ANSI, ASTM, SAE, RMA, Plastic Molders Guideline, and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing. Understanding of multiple manufacturing processes including injection, transfer, compression, and blow molding as well as gasket and hose manufacturing and tooling, fixture, and gage design
- At least 5 years of experience working in design and manufacturing of plastic injection mold.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or at least 5 years of related work experience in an engineering position.
Climbing: Body agility is emphasized for ascending or descending ladders, stairs, ramps, and the like by using feet, legs, hands or arms.
Stooping: Bending the body downward and forward at the waist, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
Kneeling: Bending legs to come to a rest on the knee(s).
Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces.
Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
Carrying: Transporting an object, usually holding it in the hands or arms or on the shoulder. (Maximum weight of the object(s) 80 pounds)
Pushing: Using the upper extremities to exert force upon an object so that the object moves away from the force. (Maximum weight of the object(s) 80 pounds)
Pulling: Using the upper extremities to exert force upon an object so that the object moves toward the force. (Maximum weight of the object(s) 80 pounds)
Sitting: Remaining in the normal seated position.
Standing: Remaining on one’s feet in an upright position without moving about, particularly for sustained periods of time.
Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally. (Maximum weight of the object(s) 80 pounds)
Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and/or palm.
Repetitive Motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers for the purpose of picking up items, typing, operating ten-key or performing data entry.
Talking: Expressing or exchanging instructions and ideas by means of the spoken word.
Hearing: Ability to receive oral information and/or sounds through the ear.
Seeing: Obtaining impressions through the eyes of the distance, size, shape, motion, color, or other characteristics of objects.
- This position is subject to oils and/or hazardous materials: There is air and/or skin exposure to oils and other fluids.
- This position is subject to noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- This position is subject to atmospheric conditions: One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or skin: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
Note: The essential job functions and associated physical and mental requirements contained in this document describe the general nature and level of the work performed by personnel assigned to the job. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive listing or be inclusive of all aspects of the job. The tasks and procedures involved in the performance of the job responsibilities may vary from day-to-day. Major changes in areas of responsibility will require revision of this job description.